The second floor bedrooms of the
1760’s section of the 
home 
have remarkably sustained little alterations over the

past 250 years. Most of the original wood window

moldings, baseboards and paneled doors appear to be

original and in remarkable condition. However, sections

of the plaster walls and ceilings were in various states of

deterioration requiring patching and re-plastering. The

rear bedroom features the staircase to the attic,

and the corresponding doorway to the space where the

stairway leading to the kitchen was once located. The

wide plank floors are in remarkable condition requiring

only minor repairs and light cleaning to retain its current

patina. Paint analysis revealed the original cream and

dark blue color scheme that was meticulously matched

and recreated in the room. This room has been

repurposed as the Colonial room, and will house and

display the UFHA’s vast colonial era furniture and

artifacts. Visitors will be greeted to furnishings, tools,

textiles and other items of local interest.

The current Dining Room at the 1760’s section of the Joseph Turner House
was originally the front Sitting Room

of the house in the 18th Century, and likely a wall and

doorway existed between the Sitting Room and the present

day Kitchen. The Dining Room restoration posed the

greatest challenge of any room of the house. The floor

beams, made of tree trunks, and floor decking were

completely rotted and the floor was literally falling into the

shallow crawl space. It was determined that at some point

the roof was leaking and water damage caused the

extensive floor rot. The entire floor needed to be removed

and re-framed to current building code standards. Antique

wide plank flooring will soon cover the plywood sub-floor.

Scrapings were done to determine the original paint scheme for the room, and was recreated as accurately as possible. Today the Dinning Room is ready for events.

We are fortunate that the grand Parlor in the 1830’s section of the Joseph Turner House 

reatains the original features including the wide plank floor, door and window trim, and plaster walls. The “fireplace” in the

Parlor is one of the more peculiar features in the house.

Upon removing the plywood covering of the firebox, it was

revealed that there was no fire-box, and that the mantel

and surround were likely later decorative elements added

to conceal the simple brick chimney. We speculate that

originally there was a small wood burning stove

in the parlor that sat in front of the decorative mantel

piece. Paint scrapings revealed the original color of the

room, which was recreated during restorations. Period

style décor now grace the room, and the space presents

well as a Greek Revival recreation. The room is now

ready to greet guests and is a venue for our social events.

© 2015 Union Forge Heritage Association

117 Van Syckles Road Hampton NJ 08827

Contact us:

  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square
  • google-plus-square